Blog envy feels really shitty, and it happened to me too!
I was merrily browsing the blogosphere… getting inspired and happily devouring all sorts of fantastic-ness that people in the world are creating. I happened to stumble onto a lifestyle website… and was instantly drawn into all the shiny pretty-ness she had on offer. I started dreaming of all the fun I could have if I created a blog just like that! I imagined having an incredible studio where I created all sorts of cool creative things that I shared with the world, and then I saw myself in a floaty kaftan in some exotic location, sharing snippets of me with a cocktail in hand on some sandy beach...
Sigh… it was a fun moment.
But I was snapped back to reality pretty quick when I realised that I don’t have a lifestyle blog. I was just wanting what someone else had… and that it isn’t ME!
Ugh… Blog envy was a little sneaky right there!
It's super easy to get caught in a whirlwind of comparison and jealousy… whether you see someone doing something way more incredible than you, their business is so much bigger than what you have created, or whether they create prettier stuff, they have cleverly managed to infuse who they are into what they do, or maybe they are just soooo much cooler than you see yourself!
Whatever the motive for comparison, whilst it’s more natural than we’d care to admit, the only thing it’s offering you… is distraction. You're being called away from what you are created to do.
Let's imagine what happens if you chase that shiny object.
You start blogging about cocktails, then you share your kaftan holiday at home, you remember that your blog was actually about ____[insert chosen topic here] - so you quickly write a ____ [insert chosen topic here] type tutorial, then you spotted someone's blog about their shoe love… oh yes, must share that new pair of shoes I bought! Then you found a cool quote - so you share that, plus your supper recipe, that webinar you wanted to do, then there was that piece of art you created, oh- and your favourite colour this month, then that pen you bought, oh shit… another _____[insert chosen topic here] post needs to be written.
Very soon, you’ve found yourself floating in all sorts of directions… and quickly feel a sense of restlessness… knowing that something just doesn’t FEEL right…. experiencing confusion and overwhelm and just feeling all over the place.
Shiny objects can be dangerous! So how do we get around it? It’s important to remember that we are all on our own blogging journey.
1. It all starts with knowing why you blog in the first place!
By being powerfully intentional, knowing what your dream is, and why you do what you do… everything else starts falling into place. It makes it so much easier when you have clarity and know what your purpose is!
2. Once you have your core pegged… you need to work out your Awesome Sauce [that special something you offer the world].
Know what makes YOU special… that you were born to do in this world!
3. Then it comes down to continually sharing that AwesomeSauce, people will naturally become attracted to you…
4. Rinse and repeat… Keep at it, keep persisting and sharing your awesomeness with the world… so that you create a business and live you love!
So the next time a little bout of jealousy hits… remember that you have something incredible to offer this world… that ONLY you can give… and there is no need to focus on what others are doing, but if that twinge of blog envy hits again...
Here are some ideas to help you when blog envy hits:
When someone’s business appears incredible, bigger, and uber successful:
- First remember… it has come with a lot of effort, and as you implement your plan, your business will also grow…
- Then spread some love and good vibes their way
So if someone has built a really great business:
- Lets celebrate that they have found their AwesomeSauce, and have been able to make a go at it!
- Then go back to your big dream… and do what you’re called to do!
When someone is doing something that is shiny and exciting:
- There are many incredible ways to position yourself, but if their method is not right for your business, don’t feel pressure to “have to” follow their path!
- Repeat after me: "That has been wonderful for them, but it isn’t where I’m taking my special offering right now…"
- Then get back to working on that special something you are creating.
When someone has become really successful in a similar blogging space to the one you’re in:
- Let’s remember that there is enough space in this world for all of us!
- Spread a little love instead!
When they are just so much cooler than you think you are:
- We are all cool in our own special way… to our tribe… and anyway - you don’t want to be a copycat.
- Find your AwesomeSauce… that “thing” that makes you “cool”
- ...and rock your AwesomeSauce baby!
This piece originally appeared on Blog Society. Emma Weise wants to live in a world where entrepreneurs feel confident in the brand they are putting out in the world. She gets to help coffee drinking, lipgloss rocking, sneaker wearing entrepreneurs create a brand experience their clients will adore, helping them serve their AwesomeSauce to the world - and she has some delicious treats for you here.